Nathan Fletcher Releases Plan To Establish Regional Film Office
San Diego-Nathan Fletcher, candidate for County Board of Supervisors District 4, released a detailed plan that would establish a San Diego County Regional Film Office. This would be a joint effort of the City of San Diego, County of San Diego, Port and Airport Authorities and other jurisdictions.
Nathan Fletcher said, “It’s time to change how we approach working with the film industry in San Diego. Creating a regional film office will stimulate the San Diego economy, promote our region and help create strong middle-class jobs in our region, and help support the many families that call San Diego home.”
To ensure that our region benefits from improved services to the film industry, a regional organization must be created that follows the successful example in Los Angeles with Film LA and in San Francisco with Film SF. The San Diego region excels in collaboration and can partner with various jurisdictions to create a model that works for everyone.
It will feature the following items to encourage film production in San Diego:
- An innovative website that features robust resources including access to all regional permitting sites
- Support for regional film friendly hotel accommodations and discounts with area restaurants, businesses and mobility providers
- Co-branding opportunities with local businesses and organizations
- Support Comic-Con events and culture
- Benefit of utilizing the State of California’s $330 Million Dollar Tax Incentives
The film office can also assist with production by providing the following technical services:
- A digital location library to include 360 panoramic views and video
- One stop shop for permitting across multiple jurisdictions
- No cost online permitting
- Incentive for Green Filming
- Dedicated community and municipal film liaison(s)
- Expedited access for filing on City, County and Port properties
- Implement a model film ordinance such as LA County’s that helps create streamlined policy rules for their jurisdiction
- Digital Makers Initiative - For low impact filming
- Strong community relations that partner with communities to ease and mitigate any issues that may arise from filming
- Database of filming location images
- Economic Impact from Film Los Angeles to show the potential impact on San Diego
“Collaboration can’t be siloed. We need to come together with one voice and the San Diego region can be a model for rebuilding our local film industry. The San Diego Regional Film office is the right approach to bringing collaboration to life and attracting filmmaking to San Diego.” - City of San Diego Council President Pro Tem Barbara Bry
“San Diego celebrates our vibrant communities and diverse culture. Through a regional film office, we can stimulate the development of more films and share our stories with the world.” - Imperial Beach Councilman and Airport Authority Member Mark West
“The San Diego working waterfront provides one of the most compelling and picturesque scenes on the West Coast. Along with our military installations, we have a unique opportunity to partner with the film industry to stimulate movie making in our region.” - San Diego Port Commission Chairman, Rafael Castellanos
To see the full plan go online: NathanFletcher.com/film
To watch a short video about the plan go to the following link: https://youtu.be/HUNVl54epxc
To learn more about Nathan Fletcher’s campaign, visit: www.NathanFletcher.com.
Nathan Fletcher is a Marine Corps combat veteran, former California State Assemblymember and a Professor of Practice at UCSD. In the State Assembly, Fletcher passed more than 30 laws to expand healthcare coverage, protect homeowners during the foreclosure crisis and strengthen penalties for violent crimes against children. Since leaving the Assembly, Fletcher founded a veterans’ advocacy foundation to help eliminate the stigma surrounding Post-Traumatic Stress and joined the teaching faculty at UCSD. Fletcher lives in City Heights with his wife, Lorena, and their four children.